Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Blueberry Zucchini Bread

First day of baking! And as promised, today I made Zucchini Blueberry Bread. I wish blueberries were more in season because the selection was not the best, but the price was right at $2 a pint!

So let me tell you a little story. Just as my love of blogging and baking are meeting here, in my kitchen zucchini...
...met blueberries.
Their meeting happened in a delicious batter with white and whole wheat. (I love that nutty flavor and meaty texture whole wheat flour gives to bread.)
Then off into the oven they went with a little oatmeal and cinnamon sprinkled on top.
After an hour in the over, they came out smelling and looking beautiful.
I've got to say, eating this bread fresh out of the oven is the way to go. The blueberries were juicy and sweet and the bread was moist and warm. I suggest popping this bread in the microwave or toaster oven for a quick second before eating to reheat. Definitely best eaten warm. The addition of the oatmeal on top was also a nice addition and the mixture of whole wheat and AP flour gave this bread a really great texture. The bread was also super moist from all the delicious zucchini and substitution of applesauce instead of oil.

The possibilities are endless with this bread. Don't like blueberries? I bet cherries would be delicious too. Nuts could also be a nice addition. Or you could go all natural and strictly make a basic zucchini bread. Good first pick! Can't want to pick the next recipe to try. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, if you decide to try out this recipe, I'd love to hear how it goes and see pictures!
Blueberry Zucchini Bread
(adapted from My Baking Addiction)

Ingredients
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup applesauce (the original recipe called for 1/2 cup vegetable oil, but I like the moisture applesauce gives to quick breads as opposed to vegetable oil)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 brown sugar, lightly packed (I used dark brown sugar because I thought the extra bit of molasses would add some good flavor)
1 cup shredded zucchini
3/4 cup AP flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 Tbsp. oatmeal (optional)

Method
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a loaf pan.
2. In a mixer, beat together wet ingredients: eggs, applesauce, vanilla and sugars. Fold in the zucchini.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Slowly beat into wet ingredients, scraping down the sides until thoroughly combined. Fold in the blueberries.
4. Pour batter into pan and sprinkle with oatmeal if desired. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes in the pan and then turn out onto cooling rack to completely cool.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great! I'm going to adapt it to make it gluten-free. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete