Sunday, October 10, 2010

Rustic Apple Galette

It was such a beautiful weekend here and even a cold wasn't going to stop me from enjoying this beautiful weekend. Saturday I was at least feeling a little well enough to take a trip to go apple picking!

The type of apples that we picked were called "Melrose." I had never heard of them before, but they were a delicious snacking apple. Hopefully they would bake as good as they tasted. I did a little research on them, and according to allaboutapples.com (catchy name) the Melrose apple is the official Ohio state apple!


I have always wanted to try and make a galette. It's sort of like a rustic, free-form pie. The one hurdle was that you have to make your own pie crust. However, I think I tackled that huddle pretty well.

Pre-bake.

Post-bake.

I was over at my parents when I made this so we all got to enjoy this fall treat. We topped it off with a scoop of ice cream. Warm apples and cool vanilla ice cream. Love fall.

Rustic Apple Galette

Ingredients
Crust
1 1/2 cup AP flour
1/3 cup butter
1 tbsp shortening
3-4 tbsp ice water

Filling
5 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
3 tbsp sugar
juice from 1 lemon
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger

Optional Ingredients
turbinado sugar
milk

Method
1. In a large bowl, add the flour. Working quickly so the butter stays cold, cut the butter into a small dice and add to the flour along with the shortening. Using either a fork or a pastry cutter, cut the butter and shortening into the flour until it resembles course sand.
2. Add the water, tablespoon by tablespoon, until the dough just comes together. Use more water if necessary.
3. Form dough into a ball and cover in plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before using.
4. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
5. For the filling, mix all ingredients (apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger) in a large bowl until apples are evenly coated with other ingredients.
6. Roll dough into a free-form circle until it is 1/4 inch thick. Place dough circle on baking tray of choice, such as a cookie sheet. (I used a round baking stone)
7. Pour filling into center of dough circle and roll the edges of the dough over the filling about 1 inch, to form a crust.
8. (optional) Push crust with milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
9. Bake for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah!

    I've been following your baking and it looks like we're both caught up in the delicious smells and tastes of the season! Yay fall!!! I just finished making these DELICIOUS apple muffins! (bottom of the page: http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/Muffins) Definitely the best apple muffins I've ever had! Anyways, hope you're starting to feel better(I'm actually getting over a cold myself... boo)and keep the great recipes comin!

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete