Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lavender Teacakes

There is a great farmers' market on Sundays near where I live. A few weeks ago, I went and found something that I have been wanting to test baking with.

Lavender!

I was gone on a roadtrip to visit friends in North Carolina so I didn't get to bake last week. I was determined this week to find something to bake with my lavender. I scoured the blogosphere to find a yummy recipe to try out using lavender that I would enjoy.

After narrowing the field down, I landed on a recipe for lavender madeleines. I thought making madeleines would be something different since you don't see them very often and I have never made them. Of course, since this was my first time making madeleines, I needed to purchase a madeleine mold. I walked over to my local Sur La Table to get a madeleine mold but the only one they had was $26. I was not ready to make that kind of investment in a pan that I may or may not use again. The woman working there suggested that I use mini-muffin tins since they were about the same size. Plus it was only $10, my kind of price. And I knew that I would probably use it again. I love muffins!

I figured the recipe would work no matter what mold I used. To start, I had to melt the butter and the lavender and let it steep for 10 minutes.

The aroma that wafted from that sauce pan was to die for. Smelled like a lavender field in my kitchen. The rest of the method was fairly easy. Cream wet ingredients, fold in dry. Easy peasy.

Yummy lavender batter

The combination of the lavender, honey, and lemon smelled (and tasted) wonderful. I couldn't wait to get those babied in the oven. The original recipe called for putting the batter in the fridge for at least 2 hours to help the madeleines set better. I wasn't using traditional madeleine tins, but I figured I should refrigerate it for at least a little bit.

Finally it was time to go into the over. And 12 minutes later, voila!

These little guys were so unique tasting. The lavender, honey, and lemon were each identifyable, but also were in harmony together. I could seeing having these with a nice cup of black tea. Definitely want to eat these babies warmed.

Lavender Teacakes
(adapted from Technicolor Kitchen)

Ingredients
5 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. dried edible lavender
3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
1/3 cup sugar
grated zest of a lemon
2 large eggs (I used Eggbeaters=1/2 cup=2 large eggs)
2 Tbsp. honey
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Method
1. Melt the butter with the lavender in a small sauce pot. Let the butter and lavender sit for 10 min. Strain if desired. (I left the lavender in because I thought it would make the cakes look pretty)
2. Sieve together the dry ingredients. (Flour, baking powder, salt)
3. Beat the eggs, sugar and zest with a stand mixer for 3 minutes until pale and thick.
4. Add the honey and vanilla and beat for a minute more.
5. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients on a low setting, mixing until just combined.
6. Fold in the cooled butter and lavender.
7. Refrigerate the batter for 30 minutes. (If using madeleine tins, refrigerate at least 2 hours.
8. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
9. Spray and flour mini muffin tins. (Or whatever kind of mold you are using)
10. Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment